Wednesday 24 August 2011

Frontwards, backwards and sidewards....

Yesterday, I look myself and all the littles on a trip. Back to the grind for me today. It is National Heritage Week so with this theme in mind we set off early. We first visited Kiltartan Museum which we pass (sometimes daily) but have never ventured in.

http://www.gortonline.com/gregorymuseum/ 

It was a national school built in the 1800's by Robert Gregory of Coole for the local school children. He also built schools in Sri Lanka and it is said that the plans were mixed up as the school here has beautiful red brick and red tiles on the roof. I digress.
Bah.....

Onwards to Kinvara, where a French film crew were doing there thing, we stopped to rubberneck and got 99's. I also met the wonderful Nessa, whom I hadn't seen in about 8 years and in the course of our catching up she dropped her iPhone : (



To Ballyvaughan, where we me a beautiful Tom cat - would look wonderful with our Minnie!


Mr Tom


And then to Doolin, where I happened upon a ferries office and thought it a wonderful ideal to get tickets for us to see the Cliffs of Moher from the sea. Our final destination. The point of the whole trip. This was turning out to be one of the better 'spins'.




Down to the pier we went, after a stop for scones and hot chocolate. Beautiful sunny day, the sea looked amazing, all blues, greens and illuminated by the rays of sun. We decided we would take passage sitting outside on the boat to truly take the experience in. Our companions were mainly tourists (as we were for the day). As we set out there were some rollings, which we thought were funny - Whooooo, kind of like the fairground. Laughing, we were, oh wasn't this fun!!!! Five minutes later the joy was gone. Terror. The waves were huge, we were swaying from side to side, so much so I truly believed we were going to capsize. So did the littles. They were bawling. 20 minutes of this and we finally made it into the cabin. Not that it was much better, but when you are not being covered in sea it helps. Cliffs, I did not even see them, nor did I care if I never saw them. Worst experience EVER. How ironic that I am reading The Perfect Storm at the moment.


When we made it safely back to dry land, (I prayed the whole time)..... we went to see the Cliffs overground, and yes they were spectacular. Truly deserving to be on of Natures 7 wonders of the world. Please vote http://sevennaturalwonders.org/europe/cliffs-of-moher 
A far superior experience that the sea version. We lived to tell the tale, we will not forget this adventure for a long time.













1 comment:

  1. beautiful! And scary, very scary. Stick straight to land next time, eh? PS love T's hair in the last one :)

    ReplyDelete